Saturday — March 26, 2016 — 6:00 to 16:00
The annual springtime rogaine was held in the Adullum region in central Israel, and offered 4-hour, 6-hour and 8-hour events and a 6-hour mountain bike event. Nearly 400 competitors/150 teams took part.
Rogaine_2016_results (PDF, Hebrew)
Rogaine_2016_splits (PDF, Hebrew)
Rogaine_2016_teams (PDF, Hebrew)
Gidi Zorea: Video Clips
Gidi Zorea: PHOTOS
Dalia Ravid: PHOTOS
Lisa Mishli: PHOTOS
Noam Ravid: Blog Post(Hebrew)
Dan Chissik: Blog Post(English)
RULES (Hebrew) for Rogaine 2016
Update: Competitors will be using SPORTident (SI) electronic punches.
Note that there are 35 controls in the field. SI-8 sticks have a capacity of 30 punches. If you expect to reach more than 30 controls, you will need a second SI-8 stick (your own, or provided by organizers). If you are using SI-9, 10, 11 or SIAC, only one SI is needed.
Check back at this page and follow postings on the ROGAINE Facebook Event page.
What is Rogaining?
Rogaining (Rugged Outdoor Group Adventure Involving Navigation and Endurance) is the sport of long distance cross-country navigation, in which teams of two to five people visit as many checkpoints (“controls”) as possible within a set time period. The checkpoints are marked on a map given to competitors shortly before the start. Checkpoints have different point values, and can be visited in any order, so strategy and route selection are key elements to achieving the highest point score. Teamwork, endurance, competition and an appreciation for the natural environment are features of the sport. Traditional and championship rogaines are 24 hours in duration, but shorter rogaines are common. Learn more about rogaining.
Rogaine Israel 2016 will span both the Adullam and British (Britannia) National Parks in the southern foothills of Jerusalem, south of Beit Shemesh. The western half of the map was part of the Rogaine 2013 Luzit map, while the Adullam eastern half has been newly mapped for the 2016 competition. The terrain includes forests as well as agricultural land with both cultivated and grazing fields, orchards, and vineyards, and is covered by an extensive network of trails. Several small rural villages are also located within the map.
Who Can Participate?
Rogaining is a team activity for people of all ages and levels of fitness. Rogaining appeals to all types of outdoor sports enthusiasts – from recreational hikers and bikers, to elite level orienteers, runners, mountain-bikers, and ultra-athletes. Your challenge and success come from your ability to read the map, to plan a route through as many checkpoints as possible, and to navigate your course within the time limit. New rogainers are always welcome and organizers are more than happy to help you get started.
Follow Rogaine 2016 updates on Facebook
(open to all – Facebook account not required)
Rogaine Israel 2016 – Categories for Foot and Bike
- Youth/Masters (Mixed Age) – At least one male member of the team must be under age 16 or at least 50 years old.
- Youth/Masters – Women (Mixed Age Women) – At least one female member of the team under age 16 or at least 50 years old.
- Open – No age limits.
- Open Women – No age limits, with at least one female member of the team.
Age is determined by the competitor’s age on January 1, 2016.
Any team with a member under the age of 16 must also have a member at least 18 years old.
In addition, the following age restrictions apply to categories:
- Foot 4 hours – Age 12 and older (born in 2002 or earlier)
- Foot 6/8 hours – Age 15 and older (born in 1999 or earlier)
- Bike 6 hours – Age 13 and older (born in 2001 or earlier)
Mass start for all competitors at the following times:
|Event||Sign In||Map Handout||Start||Time Limit||OT-DSQ|
|Rogaine – Foot 4 hours||08:30||09:00||09:30||13:30||14:00|
|Rogaine – Foot 6 hours||07:30||08:00||08:30||14:30||15:00|
|Rogaine – Foot 8 hours||06:00||06:30||07:00||15:00||15:30|
|Rogaine – Bike 6 hours||07:00||007:30||08:00||14:00||14:30|
All Rogaine competitors must arrive at finish line by the Time Limit hour specified for the event. Rogaine competitors will have penalty points deducted from scores due to late arrival at finish. Arrival after Overtime hour (OT) will result in disqualification.
Prizes will be awarded to the top three finishers in each of the following categories:
|Foot 4 hours||♦||♦||♦||♦|
|Foot 6 hours||♦||♦||♦||♦|
|Foot 8 hours||♦||♦||♦||♦|
|Bike 6 hours||♦||♦||♦||♦|
A brief awards ceremony will be held for each event as soon as results are tallied, approximately one-half hour after the conclusion of each event.
Event Organizer: Israel Orienteering Association
The event center will be located near the center of the competition map. The exact location of the assembly area will be announced just prior to the event.
Gear Provided by Organizers
Every competitor will receive a map prepared especially for the event; it has a scale of 1:25,000 (foot) / 1:30,000 (bike).
Every team will need one SPORTident (SI) electronic timing card, as used by competitors at Israel Sport Orienteering Association events. The organizers will loan an electronic card to any team in need of one.
Water points will be marked on the map.
- Every team must carry a mobile phone, well charged at the start, whose number has been registered with the event organizers.
- Every competitor in all events must be carrying at least 2.0 liter of water at the start of the event. Locations where drinking water is available will be marked on the map.
- Every competitor in the bike event must wear a helmet.
Compass, food, long pants, extra pair of socks, first-aid kit, small pack for carrying gear. A second mobile phone.
- The use of maps other than those expressly sanctioned by the organizers is prohibited.
- The only navigational aids that may be carried on the course are magnetic compasses, watches and copies of the competition map.
- Upon receipt of the rogaine map from the organizers, competitors are prohibited from using any other navigational aids, including other maps, aerial photographs, pedometers, altimeters, GPS devices with map-display capabilities, and smartphone applications.
- Computers may NOT be used by competitors for planning their strategy.
- During the competition, competitors may use only the food and equipment which they have carried from the start, or have left at the assembly area for later retrieval. No provisions may be cached in advance of the event. Only water may be refilled at any of the water stations spread throughout the rogaine area.
30-40 checkpoints will be spread across the rogaine area. Checkpoints are marked by orange and white flags (orienteering control markers). Every checkpoint has an electronic timing device with a unique code.
Each checkpoint has a numeric code, which is also its point value. This number appears on the map and on the checkpoint itself. Each checkpoint in the field is also marked by a streamer (flagging tape) labeled with the checkpoint number. Typically the streamer will be visible from a distance while the checkpoint control flag will be slightly hidden (behind a bush or tree) to reduce the chance of theft.
Each team’s score is determined by the total value of the checkpoints visited. Points are deducted for being overtime, according to a rate per minute or part thereof. Teams finishing more than thirty minutes late will be considered overtime, and therefore disqualified.
The rules for the event are based on the international rogaining rules. In case of discrepancies between those rules and those defined by the organizers of Israel Rogaine 2016, the rules for this event will be the operative ones.
Respect and Good Manners
- Do not enter areas marked as private or surrounded by high fences. Cross through residential areas only on trails and roads marked on the map.
- Do not enter buildings, greenhouses and barns.
- Do not cross agricultural fields, except where trails are marked on the map. It is permissible to walk/ride along the edge or fields, provided no damage is done to crops.
- Do not cause any damage to agricultural equipment.
- Do not ride through orchards and vineyards, but only around them.
- After opening any gate, you must close it. Avoid causing any damage to fences.
- Do no harm to natural or historical sites – flora and fauna, geological formations, ruins.
- The water at water stations is for drinking only, and is not to be used for washing or splashing.
Event Site – Map Area
The rogaine map spans both the Adullam and British (Britannia) National Parks in the southern foothills of Jerusalem, south of Beit Shemesh.
Directional signs will be posted on Route 38.
Please drive carefully, and comply with parking attendants’ instructions.
Transportation assistance to foreign competitors:
There is no bus service in Israel on the weekends (Friday afternoon until Saturday evening), so you will not be able to get to/from the event by public transportation. You might consider renting a car.
You can post a notice on the IOA forum, and on the Rogaine Facebook event page.
Local orienteers are always happy to help in transportation, and it is very likely that someone will offer you a ride.
Need a Teammate?
If you would like to participate but don’t have a partner, use the Find-A-Teammate form on the rogaine (Hebrew) website, or post to the Rogaine Facebook (English or Hebrew) event page. Specify your level of fitness, the category you want to compete in, your ambition (e.g., just for fun, aiming for the podium), and your name and contact details of course.
Entry Fees and Registration
Online registration on the Israel Sport Orienteering Association website (in Hebrew).
Early registration: Ends on 28 February 2016:
50 NIS per person IOA member / 70 NIS per person non-member ISOA
Late Registration: 1 March 2016 – 19 March 2016:
70 NIS per person IOA member / 100 NIS per person non-member IOA
Registration ends 19 March 2016 at 23:00.
Registration from Outside Israel
Competitors from outside Israel are requested to use the Rogaine Registration form on this website.
Payment can be made in cash, in local currency, when you sign in at the event.